Driver's Licens...
Clear all

Driver's License New Documention Needed!!!

Posts: 1018
Noble Member
Topic starter

When applying for a new driver's license or renewing your driver's license the BMV needs the following two (2) forms of identification:

1.) Passport/Vorter ID/Birth Certificate
2.) Social Security Card

Two (2) forms of documentation to prove residency, whether it be your WAPA bill, cable tv bill, mortgage, lease, an official bill or document with your address on it.

If you have any questions, call them or stop by. Or take as much paperwork when you go, so you aren't turned away.

This is a Federal Law. I saw it on News2 at 7pm.

Posted : August 15, 2012 11:28 pm
Posts: 1018
Noble Member
Topic starter

This info. is straight from the USVI BMV website.

Director Jerris T. Browne would like to inform the public that the Bureau of Motor Vehicles is within final stages of becoming fully REAL I.D. compliant and such must now require two (2) documents reflecting the applicant's name and physical address in order to process any driver's (initial, renewal or duplicate). This requirement will take effect August 15, 2012 and the public is reminded that all documents must be in original form as copies cannot be accepted.
The BMV will accept any two of the following:
- Utility Bill
- Telephone Bill
- Cable TV/Satellite TV Bill
- Auto Life Insurance Policies
- W-2 and/or other filed taxed forms
- Voter Registration Card
- Credit Card Statements
-Signed contracts for homeland purchases in the Territory
- Property deeds or rental agreements in the Territory
-V.I. Driver License, local Vehicle Registration or Vehicle Certificate of Title
Notarized Letter by property owner or lease-holder verifying principal residence of applicant.
- Applicants whose principal address is on a personally owned boat in the Territory must provide proof that the boat is registered in his/her name in the Territory.
- Applicants who reside under temporary living conditions such as College dormatory, shelters, or Hotels/Motels must provide the agency with notarized letter from the management (Dir. of Personnel, Resident Manager, College Administration, Hotel/Motel Manager) of the establishment.
- Members of the U.S. Military and their dependants that are on active duty overseas are required to present documents (two) validating current physical address assignment.
- Other documents approved by the Director or Assistant Director only.
Persons who have changed their principal residence for more than 30 days must update their driver's license record.  When there is a name change which is legally recognized in the Territory, persons are reminded to bring legal documents to the BMV and have the driver's license record reflect the change.

When applying for a new driver's license or renewing your driver's license the BMV need the following two (2) forms of identification:

1.) Passport//Birth Certificate
2.) Social Security Card


The two (2) forms of documentation to prove residency as stated above.

If you have any questions, call them or stop by. Or take as much paperwork when you go, so you aren't turned away.

There is info. on the BMV website.

Sorry, I couldn't edit the first post as time had run out. This one is more clear.

Posted : August 16, 2012 12:25 am
Posts: 850
Prominent Member

It's Federal law that 16 states have decided not to comply with. Sorry to hear that the VI didn't opt out too. This makes your private info accessible to every DMV office in every state that didn't opt out.

My SS card is so old I think it may have dry-rotted by now. 🙂

Posted : August 16, 2012 3:40 am
Posts: 551
Honorable Member

Thanks!! Just when I thought I'd get off my lazy you-know-what and GET a VIDL... *-)

Posted : August 16, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 12366
Illustrious Member

While they might request your SS# it is not longer displayed on your drivers license. Thank Goodness.

Posted : August 16, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 1018
Noble Member
Topic starter

More info. about the REAL ID:

@ watruw8ing4, you can always go to the Social Security Office and apply for a new one. Maybe even do it online-have to check out the SSA website.

@ Alana, none of my previous driver's license's had my Social Security number on them. I do remember one state I lived in, I just got my DL and a place of business wouldn't accept it because it didn't have my SS# on it. They thought it was a fake. After much fussing around and proving them wrong. It wasn't supposed to have it on there anyway!

@ VIsnorkeler, unfortunately, just more paperwork to bring with you now.

If I remember correctly, one always had to show the BMV your SS card, as one form of identification. The new documents are to prove your residency- WAPA bill, Cable bill, lease, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Posted : August 16, 2012 4:18 am
Posts: 1018
Noble Member
Topic starter

-To establish identity, the applicant must present at least one of the  following source documents: 
(a) Certified copy of birth certificate. 
(b) Valid unexpired U.S. Passport.
(c) Certificate of Naturalization.
(d) Certificate of Citizenship.
(e) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card.
(f) Unexpired Employment Authorization Card issued by DHS
(g) Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 Form.
(h) Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(i) REAL ID compliant Driver’s License or Identification card.(j) Valid unexpired U.S. Military Service Member card.

(k) Date of Birth (DOB):
To establish date of birth an individual must present at least one document included in paragraph (a-j above) of this section. Individuals presenting the identity documents must present his or her Social Security Card, or if the SSN is not available, the person may present any of the following documents bearing the applicant’s SSN.
(a) SSN W-2 Form
(b) SSA 1099 Form
(c) Non SSA-1099
(d) DD Form 214
(e) Pay stub with applicant’s name and SSN on it.
(f)   Any Government issued document with the applicant’s full name and SSN on it.

(From BMV website.)

Posted : August 16, 2012 6:25 am
Posts: 12366
Illustrious Member

Until just recently,( past few yrs.) you could not get a driver's license here in the VI UNLESS you gave them your SS# and it was displayed on your driver's license for all to see. Glad they changed that policy, finally. When I had my license renewed recently, I just gave them my Passport and my old license. If anyone is renewing, best to call Motor vehicle Dept. and ask what docs. are required.

Posted : August 16, 2012 11:14 am
Posts: 2259
Noble Member

Since this says Aug 15th it could be as they say. I think back in the day they used you SS # as you drivers license number as well. Luckliy mine was renewed a short while ago so the law may change again. I guess us innocents have to put up with the BS because of illegal activity.

Posted : August 16, 2012 1:20 pm
Posts: 1018
Noble Member
Topic starter

From another thread about renewing your VI DL by Exit Zero, who renewed his VI DL before August 12, 2012, before when one has to bring in the additional documents starting Aug 15, 2012.
Looks like one always had to bring Social Security Card.

"Re: I'm sorry but I have more questions....(residency questions mainly) 
August 12, 2012 04:09PMRegistered: 4 years ago
Posts: 1,210
Beachcomber -- There is a renewal sheet at the cashier window in a box - clearly marked - They asked for a passport and SS card and my SeniorVI card. I think Seniors pay half? - that is what it is for car registration anyway - my license was $17.50.
I think the 'check your info" was important because she had me read back every thing on my license before I could leave the photo room."

I looked up a few state DMV websites and they required a Social Security Card to acquire a new DL & renew your DL. Also, they recognize a US Territory a valid DL when turing it in to acquire a DL in their state.

Posted : August 16, 2012 4:56 pm
Posts: 2294
Noble Member

Just curious how this will work when we move to STX. We will be renting a place for a few months then possibly buying. OP posted that you have to have bills to prove residency. We will have a lease I'm sure but likely will be renting a place that all inclusive. So what would I have as a second form to get a DL? Wapa and Internet and cable would be included... At lease that's the plan. I have passports and SS. Just good info for my STX move binder lol.

Posted : August 16, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 1018
Noble Member
Topic starter

See my second post on this thread that explains what 2 documents you may use. It was copied right off the BMV website.
The documents are not just bills. It includes auto &/or life insurance policies, leases/rental agreements, credit card bills, and many more. Read the list carefully. I'm sure you will have 2 out of the long list 😀

Posted : August 16, 2012 8:52 pm
Posts: 24
Eminent Member

If you relinquish your stateside DL (which you should do), they make you provide a driving record from the state your license was from.

Posted : August 22, 2012 2:26 am
Search this website Type then hit enter to search
Close Menu