Good morning all
- Well, it’s finally happening. The big move, St. Croix, part 1.
- some background:I have anonymously lurked the forum for a few years. I signed up a while back and have been lurking with an identity. I have learned much from you guys. Thanks.
- The move: I am coming down for good in a couple weeks. My wife is staying back to tie up loose ends, etc. her plan is to join me late summer/early fall.
- Questions: anybody with recent experience moving a car on island? Who did you use? Where did you ship from? Appx. Cost? Any experience with PetCargo or similar companies? My wife will be bringing our senior citizen dog down with her. We have secured a furnished apartment. Any thoughts on what you folks brought down with you that you thought you had to bring but later realized you should have left home?
- A little about us. We are a married couple in our forties. Two adult children(not coming with us) I have a job secured,she plans on working in hospitality work. We secured a furnished apartment on the east end of St. Croix.
- thank you in advance the help. See you soon!
Welcome to St. Croix. I used petcargo.com and would highly recommend them. They will pick up your dog, keep him in their house free to roam, send you pics of your dog while he's there and get him/her to you as quickly as possible. They are a very nice couple.
I used VI cargo to ship my cars, they are a few hundred more than others but they were always the most responsive to my emails and took care of everything with the exception of registering it. Just make sure if you just bought it, get everything notarized just in case. I hear blue ocean does a good job too, but I had issues with follow up to a few questions and it cost them my move and my vehicle transport.
I cannot give you the cost as this was about 2 years ago and obviously inflation/fuel costs/shortage of containers have probably driven the cost up. I'm guessing at least 1500-2000 now but just give them all a quick call. If it's not made in the US, you'll pay an excise tax on top of everything else. My second vehicle was a 2006 so it wasn't much, but I'm sure a newer vehicle could add hundreds on top of your shipping costs.
Good luck with the move, I live on the East End, so if you need anything or any advice, feel free to reach out to me.
We are coming back! Done this before but now need info on shipping 90 # Yellow Lab to STX. Have contacted AmreiJet and they have not responded very well this move. We are flying out on April 20th and would like him to get here in the same time frame. Any help appreciated.