My name is Justin and I am moving to St. Thomas from Florida in one month. I take pain medication for my neck and back. I was in a bad car accident and a motorcycle accident. Does anyone know how accessible pain medications are on the island? Are there pain management doctors over there? Do the pharmacys carry the same medications as Florida? I have been trying to find listings for pain management doctors over there and been having trouble finding any. Can someone please help me out! Thanks so much.
P.S. If anyone takes this type of medication, please share the name and number of your doctor. Thanks.
Justin, like Ronnie said we have doctors (not sure any of them are just pain managment doctors) but there are quite a few and I am certain you can find one to become your practioner. You might call different general practioners and ask them if they are qualified to work with your case or for suggestions - www.viphonebook.com search for physicians. As suggested get copies of your records so that the doctor you choose here can have your history. Yes we have pharmacies and they carry the "regular' medications a stateside pharmacy would have. If you have the bottle of your medication call a pharmacy here and ask them if they carry it and how much it cost. Try the yellow pages mentioned and search for pharmacy.
Justin, I am curious to know what kind of luck you had. My husband is in the same position and we are relocating. where we are now you can't have pain medication prescribed by a gp or pcp long term. It has to be don't by a pain clinic dr. I'm wondering what kinds of troubles we might encounter trying to find a new doc in stx.
Seriously. Where the hell does he think we are?
Hey Justin. We have electric and cable t.v. too!
Justin's issue is that Florida Pain Doctors are scared to death to give pain pills (actually, most any doctor these days) as there have been a lot of PAIN CLINICS busted for abusing the system... EVEN if you have been on pain meds for 10, 15 years, doctors are reluctant to prescribe more than a few times.
There are what, 10% of the people who take them become addicted or abuse them, so the other 90% suffer, erring on the side of caution and making the majority suffer.
I recommend his doctor call a doctor down there to make sure they are comfortable with continuing his prescription.
haha Mr. Sausage, that's awesome. Actually we have been to plenty of juju doctors that live in their cabins here in the woods. We have boxes of this nasty tea stuff that one of them gave to us for my husband. So, I totally believe it! Thank you guys for all the help, we have the pain rx epidemic here big time, It sounds like it has extended to the islands too?