Another Murder at a...
 

Another Murder at a Popular STX Eatery  

Page 2 / 3
 

Cat
 Cat
(@Cat)
Advanced Member
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 64
November 19, 2018 7:53 pm  

stxsailor wrote:
I'd be willing to bet many aren't on the police force to "protect and to serve" but more to get that coveted government job where you don't need to perform your job well, just show up.

"Show up?" I remember distinctly Mapp being on the radio after Maria and telling cops to get off their couches and come to work, in a slightly more emphatic fashion than I have used here.


ReplyQuote
Cat
 Cat
(@Cat)
Advanced Member
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 64
November 19, 2018 7:58 pm  

Cruz wrote:

How's that Serieux child-murder "investigation" going, anyway?

It's possible that the killer may have committed suicide shortly after the murder was committed.

I suppose it's also "possible" that the murderers turned into Pegasus unicorns and flew away over the rainbow. It's the entire community's lack of interest or caring in children being shot and burned that is so obscene.


ReplyQuote
islandjoan
(@islandjoan)
Trusted Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1734
November 20, 2018 9:49 am  

It was horrific and there was a huge outcry over it. I don't recall if they determined for sure that the man who committed suicide around the same time was the one who committed the murders. Time passes and the public forgets, I suppose. I was particularly saddened by the murdwr of the elderly gentleman killed while picking almonds near Grove. I think they did catch the perp? See time passes and other news and murders occupy our consciousness.

[quote=Cat

I suppose it's also possible that the murderers turned into Pegasus unicorns and flew away over the rainbow. It's the entire community's lack of interest or caring in children being shot and burned that is so obscene.


ReplyQuote
Beeski
(@Beeski)
Trusted Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 644
November 20, 2018 10:25 am  

islandjoan wrote:
It was horrific and there was a huge outcry over it. I don't recall if they determined for sure that the man who committed suicide around the same time was the one who committed the murders. Time passes and the public forgets, I suppose. I was particularly saddened by the murdwr of the elderly gentleman killed while picking almonds near Grove. I think they did catch the perp? See time passes and other news and murders occupy our consciousness.

[quote=Cat

I suppose it's also possible that the murderers turned into Pegasus unicorns and flew away over the rainbow. It's the entire community's lack of interest or caring in children being shot and burned that is so obscene.

re: the Children, LEO's I have talked to are convinced the perps are all dead. Gangbanging, suicide and/or airplane crash.


ReplyQuote
Cruz
 Cruz
(@Cruz)
Advanced Member
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 424
November 20, 2018 8:20 pm  

Cat wrote:

How's that Serieux child-murder "investigation" going, anyway?

It's possible that the killer may have committed suicide shortly after the murder was committed.

I suppose it's also "possible" that the murderers turned into Pegasus unicorns and flew away over the rainbow. It's the entire community's lack of interest or caring in children being shot and burned that is so obscene.

*-)yes.....cue the band....."somewhere over the rainbow...."


ReplyQuote
Darbydale78
(@Darbydale78)
New Member
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 2
November 28, 2018 8:28 am  

Islandjoan, I found the article very interesting and informative...it seems times change but things sometimes stay the same. Just use your best judgement...!? Regardless, I will be coming to live on stj soon with my boyfriend as hurricane relief workers. Change or no change I am still excited to try out all the local food and customs the islands have to offer and any advice is always happily accepted and enjoyed!


ReplyQuote
atticus
(@atticus)
Advanced Member
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 52
November 28, 2018 11:31 am  

East Ender wrote:
As an aside...if you are interested in podcasts, the third season of Serial has just finished. It is basically a look at the criminal justice system. Broken and rotten.

I'm on episode 4 and it's amazing. Absolutely accurate depiction of how the court system works.


ReplyQuote
Gator's Mom
 Gator's Mom
(@Gator's Mom)
Guest
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 947
November 28, 2018 12:40 pm  

Here's a link to Serial season 3 podcast episodes.

https://serialpodcast.org/

atticus wrote:

As an aside...if you are interested in podcasts, the third season of Serial has just finished. It is basically a look at the criminal justice system. Broken and rotten.

I'm on episode 4 and it's amazing. Absolutely accurate depiction of how the court system works.


ReplyQuote
NugBlazer
(@NugBlazer)
Advanced Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 332
November 29, 2018 2:22 am  

Sad, but not surprising. Things like this have been happening on STX for decades. This is why the people that claim that crime here is no worse than anywhere else are absolutely deluding themselves. Sure, you might get mugged in Chicago or New York, but will you be in a restaurant where thugs come in and make all the patrons lie down on the floor and, then shoot someone dead just for the hell of it? And then get away with it?! Doubtful.

This wasn't gangbangers killing each other. It wasn't someone being where they shouldn't at 4AM. It was on the East End before midnight! Chilling, sickening, revolting... and sadly just part of the cost of living here, because the VIPD are worthless, inept and, worst of all, corrupt. Until the slate is wiped clean and professional, militarized, stateside police -- who have no connections with anyone here and thus aren't corrupt -- come down to replace them, nothing will change. But, with the current goon in the whitehouse unwilling to even help Puerto Rico after a major hurricane, I wouldn't hold my breath. Just pass me the damn rum.

Cruzans do it better.


ReplyQuote
Cruz
 Cruz
(@Cruz)
Advanced Member
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 424
November 30, 2018 12:39 am  

Here are the suspects....could be East End residents....


ReplyQuote
islandjoan
(@islandjoan)
Trusted Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1734
November 30, 2018 12:00 pm  

No way to tell for sure from those photos, Cruz.


ReplyQuote
East Ender
(@east-ender)
Expert
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 5337
December 1, 2018 7:37 pm  

And now this new shooting/retaliation: https://stthomassource.com/content/2018/11/30/vipd-says-deadly-shootout-was-retaliation-for-earlier-shooting/

So this guy, Ronald Bogan, is arrested in 2014 for a murder at the vegetable market. My Google machine wasn't strong enough to tell me why the heck he wasn't in prison in 2018 when he gets shot at a housing community. And later that day his brother gets shot back at the vegetable market. What a deal. I'm very sorry, but civil society has totally broken down.


ReplyQuote
Scubadoo
(@Scubadoo)
Trusted Member
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 2258
December 1, 2018 9:29 pm  

East Ender wrote:
And now this new shooting/retaliation: https://stthomassource.com/content/2018/11/30/vipd-says-deadly-shootout-was-retaliation-for-earlier-shooting/

Interesting detail on the additional support the local VIPD is receiving as well as a little more status we don't seem to hear about.


ReplyQuote
islandjoan
(@islandjoan)
Trusted Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1734
December 2, 2018 12:42 pm  

The saddest things about this latest shooting massacre are 1. the innocent bystander (elderly man) who was killed in the indiiscriminate volley of high powered gunfire in a public place. And 2. I also read that the mother of the other two killed (Bogan and then his half brother who got killed trying to a avenge his murder) suffered a heart attack from the grief of losing two sons. Men are fu&@ed up!!!


ReplyQuote
loungestx
(@loungestx)
Advanced Member
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 191
December 3, 2018 12:06 am  

I'm no gun nut but at some point the people need to be able to defend themselves if the powers that be are unable to or refuse to.


ReplyQuote
stcmike
(@stcmike)
Advanced Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 247
December 3, 2018 8:05 am  

There have been 42 murders in the Virgin Islands in 2018. Everyone knows this is just unacceptable. Lets have a frank discussion the islands are not America's paradise. A paradise would not have one of the highest crime rates in the nation, a paradise would not have a deteriorating infrastructure, a paradise would not have a substandard medical system, a paradise would not have a weak public education system. I could go on and on but the people wearing rose colored glasses would just say crime could happen anywhere and its just gangbangers killing themselves. Unfortunately a stray bullet can hit any innocent bystander. We all know there is a problem with drugs, guns, corruption and just plain civility in the VI. My question is there anything we can do about it or do we just continue to sit back and watch the place fall apart?


ReplyQuote
caribstx
(@caribstx)
Trusted Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 546
December 3, 2018 11:21 am  

stcmike wrote: My question is there anything we can do about it or do we just continue to sit back and watch the place fall apart?

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.


ReplyQuote
stxsailor
(@stxsailor)
Trusted Member
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 606
December 3, 2018 1:00 pm  

"I'm no gun nut but at some point the people need to be able to defend themselves if the powers that be are unable to or refuse to."

The powers that be are able but refuse to.


ReplyQuote
isl3985
(@isl3985)
Advanced Member
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 73
December 3, 2018 7:39 pm  

And now the moron federal judge Gomez just ruled against customs officers using their lawful authority to search US Mail from the USA to the VI, where a LOT of the illegal guns come in to the territory.


ReplyQuote
Scubadoo
(@Scubadoo)
Trusted Member
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 2258
December 4, 2018 2:43 am  

isl3985 wrote:
And now the moron federal judge Gomez just ruled against customs officers using their lawful authority to search US Mail from the USA to the VI, where a LOT of the illegal guns come in to the territory.

He didn't rule they could not search and seize, only that the guns could not be used as evidence in court.


ReplyQuote
stcmike
(@stcmike)
Advanced Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 247
December 4, 2018 11:13 am  

I plan on taking a trip to Montreal. I have never been there but I've heard allot of nice things about the city. One interesting tidbit I found was the city has approximately 1.75 million people and it has less than 30 murders for the year. It has less murders than St. Croix even though it 30 times larger than St. Croix.


ReplyQuote
Alana33
(@Alana33)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 12216
December 4, 2018 8:49 pm  

If y'all think Customs is going to stop the illegal importation of guns, you're seriously mistaken.


ReplyQuote
Scubadoo
(@Scubadoo)
Trusted Member
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 2258

ReplyQuote
Cruz
 Cruz
(@Cruz)
Advanced Member
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 424
December 5, 2018 5:49 am  

stcmike wrote:
I plan on taking a trip to Montreal. I have never been there but I've heard allot of nice things about the city. One interesting tidbit I found was the city has approximately 1.75 million people and it has less than 30 murders for the year. It has less murders than St. Croix even though it 30 times larger than St. Croix.

maybe if we were Canadian we would have fewer murders also, damn Americans ruin everything *-)


ReplyQuote
Fishbait
(@Fishbait)
Advanced Member
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 226
December 6, 2018 4:57 pm  

This is from CNN.

"Costa Rican justice official Michael Soto told reporters at the time that the rate of 12.1 murders per 100,000 inhabitants was the highest in the country's history, with about a quarter of the deaths designated as drug related. Costa Rica had 578 homicides in 2016."

US media jumped all over this US citizen's murder, not surprisingly. That could be all it takes for the USVI to get another black eye and shot to tourism. (Like the 70's)

Also, 12.1 murders per 100,000 people? How many murders has USVI had in the past year per roughly 107,000 residents? (2017 numbers)

Here's the link to the CNN article in case anybodies interested... https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/us/costa-rica-tourist-death-safety/index.html


ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Settlers Handbook

Thinking about moving to the Virgin Islands?

The Settler's Handbook is a Indispensable Guide

The current 18th Edition, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the Virgin Islands.

Order Today $17.95
Close Menu

Please Login or Register