Hello again everyone. I have receieved my plane ticket, I fly out July 1st and arrive on St. Croix the 2nd. God willing.
It's a strange, but very cool feeling holding a one-way ticket to STX. I am a little nervous but mostly excited. I want to thank everyone on here for all your help. Not just in answering my questions but in all the conversation on this board. After spending a few months browsing through here, one almost gets the feeling they have been to the islands.
Of course, I haven't been to the islands and am trying my best not to gather any expectations. I am just thinking of surviving long enough to get settled in. Yall have giving it plenty of times, but I'll ask again, for someone about to arrive, what are some simple rules to keep in mind when moving down>? Thanks, and see you soon.
1. Nobody wants to hear how much better they do XYZ in the States or whereever you're from.
2. Always say "Good Morning/afternoon/night" when interacting with sales clerks, etc. or when entering a doctor's waiting room or any other waiting room.
3. Bring patience.
4. If you see it in a store & need it, buy it. Chances are it will be gone if you decide you want to shop around for a better price.
5. Remember that you weren't sent for & that you need to adapt, not the rest of the island.
6. Celebrate the differences, don't bemoan them.
Good luck & enjoy!
Oh what an exciting feeling!!!! Our time is almost here! Can't wait to feel those butterflies!! Only difference is we have been on several islands several different times so we know what we are getting into. Good luck to you!!
tmleeke I did the same thing, I never even did a PMV.
It really hit me when I was flying into San Juan and could see the turqoise rings that spread out from the coast that I was heading to paradise.
It's overwhelming at first to learn the way things work but Trade gave good advice. Patience galore and a lowered expectation of customer service will help! And, cash 🙂
Appreciate guys. Can't wait to get there.