Releasing suspects into the wild
I'm voicing my disappointment regarding the 5 teens that were arrested for the violent assault (now murder) of Mr. Hyde over on STT. These suspects were charged and then released into their parents/guardians custody.
What a crock of shit! They were in their parents/guardians custody when this heinous crime was committed!
Now they have been identified and charged they are likely to have even less regard for others and are free to commit more crimes knowing they are probably heading for incarceration anyway. Nothing to lose.
Yes, I know, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. But if our somewhat challenged police force had enough evidence to book them then there is a bloody good chance they were involved, so I still question releasing violent offenders pre-trial. I'd give odds that at least one of these suspects is involved in another misadventure before seeing the inside of a cell.
When will the justice system stop enabling crime and start acting to protecting innocent citizens?
- Nov. 24, 2012: A resident finds Hyde badly beaten at 7 a.m. in a bathroom stall at Magens Bay beach. Hyde had no identification on him, and police asked for assistance from the public in determining his identity. Detectives said Hyde was in stable condition and "improving."
- Dec. 10-12: Police arrest five minors in connection with Hyde's beating. The minors are charged with attempted murder; first-degree assault; kidnapping; grand larceny; unauthorized use of a vehicle; possession of stolen property; possession of a stolen vehicle; and two counts each of using a dangerous weapon during a crime of violence. The boys are advised of their rights in Family Court, then released to their parents or guardians pending further court action.
- Dec. 14: Police report that Hyde has been taken off of life support at a stateside hospital but is "still hanging on."
- Dec. 17: Hyde, who had been hospitalized since the beating, dies. Police announce that detectives are communicating with the V.I. Attorney General's Office regarding the update in the case and that the Attorney General's Office will determine whether the charges against the suspects changes.
- Dec. 21: St. Thomas-St. John Criminal Division Chief Renee Gumbs-Carty says the case is "still going through the process of being investigated." She says the V.I. Justice Department has "already done most of the paperwork" for updating the charges, which she says she expects to happen within a week.
- Jan. 2, 2013: Chief Deputy Attorney General Wayne Anderson says the process of updating the charges still is ongoing. He says an update likely will occur by a Jan. 8 hearing in Family Court. "By then we should know where we're going," Anderson says.
- Jan. 8: Prosecutors ask for a continuance at the Family Court hearing. "We continued the matter for our own reasons that will be revealed at a later date," Anderson says.
- Jan. 18: V.I. Attorney General Vincent Frazer and Government House spokesman Jean Greaux Jr. deny that the delay in updating the charges has anything to do with one of the suspects being the son of an executive chauffeur for the office of Gov. John deJongh Jr. Frazer promises an update in the case "very soon."
- Feb. 1: Frazer says prosecutors have filed motions to upgrade the charges against the minors and to try them in V.I. Superior Court instead of Family Court. He says his office still is waiting on a ruling on the motions
Here's the Source article stating that they will be tried as adults.
It does take time to builld a proper case that will not be thrown out of court or can be appealed.